For a very long time (I mean, it feels like I've basically been pregnant for a year now), I have said to myself "I just want to make it to 38 weeks." Well, here we are. 38 weeks. We made it!!!
I can feel the baby move underneath my hip sockets lately. It is a very strange feeling. Almost like a tickle but the kind where someone squeezes that weird spot right above your knee and you just wish it would stop. It's that feeling over and over again. My mother commented on a photo from my baby shower asking me if I was carrying low. Between that, the hip socket squeeze, and random pelvic pains where I can barely walk and have to sit and breathe until it subsides, I was convinced maybe we were about to get this show on the road for real. So when my doctor performed a check at my last appointment, imagine my confusion when he said "Well the baby is head down but wow- he is high up there still."
Truth is, I am not really feeling ready for the baby to be here but I was still confused to hear this news. I know everyone says you will breathe easier when the baby drops and breathing is not something coming easily to me these days. There's quite a bit of mouth breathing as well as really loud short inhales and exhales when I take the short walk from my bedroom to the bathroom. So I look forward to the baby "dropping" but also am a bit concerned about what my pelvis is going to feel like then since I'm already totally uncomfortable. Supposedly that drop is what triggers the "pregnant waddle" but let me tell ya kids, I feel like I've been waddling for a good couple months now!
So that being said, as we reach the end of this journey (maybe. possibly. who knows when this is really gonna happen now.), I would like to share a few third trimester gems with you.
1) If there is a heartburn god out there, I have clearly pissed him off because it is back with a vengeance. I resorted to swallowing a shot of apple cider vinegar hoping it would make it better. It just added to the burn. Please send TUMS.
2) I have thrown up randomly twice since hitting the third trimester. That was SO FUN remembering what the first trimester felt like. Just in case I had forgotten the misery, my body wanted to remind me it wasn't over until the fat lady sings. The fat lady in this scenario is me, you guys.
3) DID YOU KNOW MATERNITY CLOTHES GET TIGHT AT THE END? When I bought these clothes, I was of the understanding that they were made for my full pregnancy. But noooooo...apparently, I am reaching a point where they may no longer fit. And then what? Do I just wear a trash bag? Wasn't there a Simpsons episode where Homer got so large he could only wear a muumuu? It may be getting to that point. And if anyone wants to comment on how pregnant I am, anyone but me, I will punch them in the face.
4) The CANKLES. OH THE HUMANITY. I have literally lost any definition of an ankle to leg ratio. I can no longer wear my wedding ring. My husband had to shove my feet into a pair of Toms the other day because I did not want to wear flip flops. I felt like Cinderella's ugly stepsister as Prince Charming huffed and puffed trying to get my new Shaq sized foot in a princess sized slip-on.
5) Apparently, I am snoring so loud that my husband said he was about to call an Exorcist. He woke me up last night as he tried to grab his cell phone to record how demonic my snoring sounds. I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE ATTRACTIVE, Y'ALL!
All that being said, I am close. I am so close! I am like panicking a bit and anxiety ridden, I wake up 7 times a night to pee, I am a hot mess, but I am so close! My doula has given me a list of ways to help induce labor naturally plus exercises for the end of pregnancy. I will share more of that with you all later. As for right now, I am gonna go eat a home cooked meal and enjoy these last couple weeks of baby free life.